If ever since you’ve had kids you feel like your metabolism has gone to the pot, we’ve got a great breakfast for you and some good news!
We wrote Fire Up Your Metabolism after realizing that so many people felt doomed by their genetics or that they couldn’t do anything to get their body to burn more calories. We wanted to show people the truth–that you can do things to help your body to burn calories more efficiently and genetics (or changes in your lifestyle, like having kids!) don’t dictate your metabolic fate. First and foremost, it’s important to remember that eating to keep your body in the best working order possible, is ultimately what’s best for your metabolism to keep it running efficiently.
Then, there are certain foods and other lifestyle steps (that we talk about these in our book) that can help. And this smoothie contains some of those foods, plus the protein and fiber to get your body and metabolism going!
We <3 this smoothie because it makes a fabulous breakfast to start the day giving your metabolism a boost:
- We made sure it’s got both protein (the metabolism-friendly nutrient that requires your body to burn the most calories digesting it) and fiber, and together they provide satisfaction and long-lasting energy and keep your body on even keel, preventing hunger and the overeating that comes with it as well as energy dips so that you can also move more and boost your metabolic rate.
- We want you to feel light and energetic, and unlike breakfasts that make you sluggish, resulting in you being less active; burning fewer calories and negatively impacting your metabolism, this hottie keeps you feeling light.
- Sip this fluid-packed breakfast and as it helps to prevent dehydration; every process in the body takes place in water – if you are not properly hydrated, normal body processes, such as digestion and an efficient metabolism will suffer.
Each of the ingredients in this smoothie helps to keep the body in better working condition. This is especially important as we age to prevent damage to the body that prevents it from running efficiently. Check out how we hook you up!
The GREEN Bonuses:
- In addition to being packed with over 21 vitamins and minerals plus healthy fats and anti-inflammatory benefits, research suggest that the fiber, unsaturated fat content, and a blood-sugar-lowering sugar called D-mannoheptulose in avocados may offer another advantage in helping steady blood sugar levels and keeping appetite in check.
- Packed with potassium to restore normal fluid balance and flush out the bloat.
- We like to sneak this into ice cubes and use it as a broth for cooking. After all, it’s packed with phytonutrients and anti-inflammatories, tea helps to hydrate while flooding the body with health-promoting nutrients. Research has shown that tea can do everything from helping to protect the heart against heart disease and cancer to possibly even revving metabolism. Several studies, including one in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that green tea has metabolism-boosting properties and fat-oxidizing properties that can help to promote weight loss and stave off weight gain. Sip tea throughout the day. Research shows that if you can drink 4-6 tea cups a day (tea cups are smaller than regular cups, about 4 ounces a cup), you can boost your metabolism. This smoothie will help get you closer to your goal.
- Tea also contains the amino acid theanine that brings on a mental alertness and calmness that helps you to make rational decisions, so you can turn down fatty, caloric foods that you’d normally eat due to stress.
- Also, tea contains some caffeine so it often provides the little boost people look for in the morning.
Spinach or Kale:
- We’re obsessed! Both play a part in the liver’s detoxification process so if you overdid it on alcohol, or if you were in a polluted environment or have been exposed to second hand smoke, these will help your body to detoxify the chemicals, keeping your body in better working order, making everything, including your metabolism, work more efficiently.
We love that just a few frozen tidbits add so much sweetness and among other things, pineapple’s got bromelain to help reduce severe inflammation,(the root of so much evil in the body), reduce sinus and congestion, and may help ease digestion and generally protects the body from damage, keeping it running efficiently, this includes a well-tuned metabolism. Oh yeah!
Dare you peek in our fridge? There’s a reason we’re fully stocked with this. It’s packed with metabolism-friendly protein and the calcium in yogurt may help lower calcitrol in the body, which helps turn on fat burning and shut down fat storage. And, the helpful probiotics in yogurt are good for your gut health. Good gut health includes the good bacteria and gut microbes in those who are a healthy weight are different than in those who are obese.
Lyssie has a love affair with this powerful anti-inflammatory that keeps the body in better working order, an efficient system fuels a well-tuned metabolism.
Rise & Shine Metabolism Green Smoothie
Have this for a light breakfast or a satisfying snack!
3 ice cubes
1 cup green tea
2, 5.5 ounce containers (11 ounce) nonfat Greek Yogurt
2 cups stemmed and chopped spinach (or kale)
1 medium Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 cup 100% juice, OR 3/4 cup frozen pineapple tidbits
1/4 avocado, chopped
1/4 cup frozen pineapple tidbits
1/2-inch fresh ginger, peeled (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
(Note fiber will be 1-2 grams higher when using pineapple tidbits vs. the juice)
Nutrition Facts: 207 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 85 mg sodium, 30 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein